- Preparing your property for the fire season
Everyone in Victoria who lives near dense forest, bush, grassland or the coast needs to prepare their property for bushfire. Below are some tips from Captain Koala on preparing your property:
- Roof gutters - Keep gutters and roof areas clear of leaf litter. Leaf litter in guttering is an ember ignition point.
- Keep grass short - Keep grass cut to less than 10cm. Fire can ignite and travel quickly through long grass. Mowing and slashing can greatly reduce fine fuel levels.
- Leaves and Twigs - Get rid of dry grass, leaves, twigs and loose bark. Less fuel = less fire.
- Prune shrubs - Prune lower branches of shrubs to separate from surface fuels underneath. Prune shrubs well away from branches of mature trees.
- Cut back branches - Cut back overhanging tree branches close to property – no branches in 10m space.
For more information on preparing your property please follow this link